Windows Live Hotmail Outage – February 16, 2010

Just after noon ET today, hundreds of users began noticing problems logging in to Hotmail and other related services using Microsoft’s Windows Live ID.  Thanks to the flood of user reports, downrightnow quickly publicized the outage at 12:15pm ET:

Windows Live Hotmail Status History as of 4:00pm ET

Microsoft finally acknowledged the issue nearly 3 hours later and announced that the problem should be resolved.  We’ve continued to see sporadic user complaints throughout the day, so be sure to file a report if you’re still experiencing trouble and stay tuned to our Hotmail status page for the latest information.

Update: MSNBC (fittingly) offers additional details about the disruption:

Some users were seeing this message when they tried to log into their accounts: “We are experiencing higher than normal volume and are therefore unable to service your request at this time” and are told to try clicking “refresh” in the Web browser, clicking on a “back” arrow and trying again, or “wait a few minutes and try again.” None of those options seemed to be working.

7 Comments

Hi,
Last couple of days I can’t open mail in Hotmail. I can open inbox and see mail but can’t open mail. I also see below messenger(down below folders etc in left side bar) the word Loading, but nothing is happening. I think that’s maybe why mail,etc won’t open. I’m using Firefox, never had this problem before in Firefox. I can’t even open other folders.
Cheers,
Terry.

Comment by Terry Brown
January 17, 2011 @ 4:12 pm EDT

Mine is doing that too. Only this problem began about a month or two ago. I still cannot read my messages, delete them, or send a message. I, too, am using Firefox, and have never had a problem with it.

Comment by Kelli
July 22, 2011 @ 11:50 pm EDT

I cant even log in….all sites to hotail arent working either…Yet I know people on different providers that are ok…what gives…been doin this for months…Ive had with Hotmail…no wonder Bill Gates cut and ran…

LW

Comment by LW
January 18, 2012 @ 12:55 pm EDT

When was this

Comment by When was this
January 25, 2012 @ 2:41 am EDT

I tried to sign up on one account at hotmail and it kept telling me that it ran of of time. I tried signing up from firefox, chrome, IE, and safari from different computers and still got the same message. The thing is I can access my LIVE ID and it even shows me how many emails are in my inbox, but I can’t access my email, yet I am able to access my other email account. I’m hoping is a server issue and not a hacking issue. Guess just have to wait and see…

Comment by Philipe
February 6, 2012 @ 10:51 am EDT

SkyDrive, a very useful service, sometimes will not upload even the smallest document. i have been unable to get it to upload today (19 February 2012) 11.00 am GMT

Comment by Alasdair Gordon
February 19, 2012 @ 6:36 am EDT

Hi, For the last two days, I have not been able to access my Hotmail folders, using the standard route into Hotmail. I am able to sign in, but I can’t get any further than the Windows Live page. When I try to access my inbox or any other folders, which should be accessible from there, it just doesn’t work. I also noticed that my Messinger is in continuous “Loading” mode. All my other Internet sites are working normally.

Comment by Robert
March 24, 2012 @ 4:37 am EDT

Comments are no longer accepted on this page.

downrightnow monitors the status of your favorite web services, combining user reports and official announcements to tell you when there's service trouble.