Facebook Issues – February 20, 2010

Numerous users have filed reports on Twitter and downrightnow today about a problem reaching Facebook.  We have reproduced the issue and noticed symptoms including slow loading times, missing stylesheets and even difficulty with third-party web sites that incorporate widgets using the Facebook API.  The outage has lasted at least 30 minutes as of 11:30am ET.

Facebook Status History as of 11:30am ET

Leave a comment below to let us know your experience, and be sure to file a report and stay tuned to our Facebook status page for the latest information.  We haven’t noticed any official acknowledgement from Facebook so far but we’ll update this post with any additional details we come across.

Update: As of 11:45am ET, Facebook’s performance seems to be returning to normal for most users.  The cause of the earlier disruption is still unknown.

20 Comments

i cant login to facebook. i have tried the password reset which got me onto the site but when i tried to do anything it comes up with a message saying you must be logged on to do that…… and when i click on my profile it says profile currently unavailable…. i have been trying to get on the site for 2 days now to no avail

any help would be good

thanks

steveo

Comment by steveo davies
February 21, 2010 @ 3:50 pm EDT

I encountered that log-in issue also. I use the Facebook toolbar, which took me to the home page, but I couldn’t access my Profile page. My workaround was to click my Profile pic (on the left side of the home page). After that, I had no more issues with that particular circumstance.

However when I monitored my apps settings, I found about 8 entries for “Unknown App”. I deleted them all. When I returned later, I noticed that my Twitter status updates were not showing up on Facebook. I then noticed that my Twitter app was missing (apparently one of the “Unknown Apps” from earlier. I re-installed it.

Additionally, there are at least two phishing scams circulating Facebook that involve spoofed Private Messages (apparently from “friends”)…in addition to the current scams that are circulating Twitter.

Kudos to MySpace’s Security Team…NO PROBLEMS THERE!

Comment by Kenn Wilkins
February 21, 2010 @ 5:00 pm EDT

haven’t been able to login to facebook for 2 days now–receive error message saying website is not available.

Comment by Susan Dea
February 26, 2010 @ 12:58 pm EDT

I was able to login to Facebook yesterday, but now when i just enter facebook.com, the screen stays white.

Comment by Mathew Devereux
April 24, 2010 @ 10:04 am EDT

FB pings all right (66.220.153.23) – but requests do not get answered – it has been like this all afternoon here in Southern Germany.
Email notification works.
69.63.189.11 gets me to a login – but no further ;)

Comment by Ritch
April 24, 2010 @ 5:02 pm EDT

This is the message I am now getting while trying to open the Facebook log-in screen “NotSignedUpYour account is not signed up for the S3 service. You must sign up before you can use S3.FFE4031D407F7B62WoA2GsMpjPDxvXRri8yUtReJTv7c9VxFklY0D4KMvlnA8SL424AHAdKVnmzuP7Sl”. I have tried different browsers as well as different computers to try and access Facebook. Sometimes it’s there and I can log in play for a bit then POOF “invalid url”his has been an on and off occurrence for the past 5 days or so. I have no problems with other websites, just Facebook. I e-maile their help center, but no responce. Any ideas?

Comment by Julie
April 26, 2010 @ 7:29 pm EDT

FB HELP DISCUSSIONS have been disabled since 11:00am EST Tuesday night. Thats three days now. You can post questions, but cannot access answers.

more at

Any clues to to what is going on?

Comment by george
May 14, 2010 @ 7:52 am EDT

Armstrong cable internet users seem to be experiencing an outage as of 7/2. Can’t get the login page to load just says that the website is unavailable. Upon contacting Armstrong, customers are told that they are having a problem with FB and are having trouble contacting or getting a reply from Facebook in order to get it fixed.Armstrong says that as of right now it is basically a waiting game.

Comment by Brenda
July 3, 2010 @ 1:32 pm EDT

I logged on to Facebook in a different state and now it wont let me on. It told me to put in my birth date but it said it was incorrect and it didnt make any sense to me. I get on every so often and put in a different birth date but nothings working. After I try puting in my birth date 3 times it tells me to send a security code to my email but it never works. I tried contacting the Facebook team and they didnt help me.
How do I fix this problem?

Comment by Alycia
July 8, 2010 @ 1:17 pm EDT

The Facebook iphone app is having no problems, but access from PC is bad.

Comment by Chris
July 22, 2010 @ 1:00 am EDT

my account was disabled. i can’t even create a new Facebook account.
i can’t upload photos.
when i was trying to log on to Facebook it was missing. there were many problems. please help me. please help me to active my account….
thank you.

Comment by tharindu
August 3, 2010 @ 12:59 pm EDT

I’m having probs looking up my friends lists and sending messages, I really think FBook should have a status update page or downtime indication ! Hope they sort it soon … I know yola had attacks yesterday which stopped people loging in etc.. Lets hope this isn’t a simular thing !

Comment by Matthew Sutton
August 20, 2010 @ 3:19 pm EDT

Wonder if it has anything to do with changes they are making?

Comment by Richard Kaulfers
August 23, 2010 @ 6:47 pm EDT

Unable to log into Facebook for 3 hours now. Just keep getting message ‘Diagnose Connection Problems’. My internet connection is working fine. Is anyone else having similar problems please?

Comment by Vivien Pinfold
August 31, 2010 @ 9:22 am EDT

I have the same issue Vivien

Comment by Rose Red
August 31, 2010 @ 9:37 am EDT

I’m having problems getting onto Facebook. It’s been like this for absolutely hours.

Comment by Henry Sumner
August 31, 2010 @ 9:49 am EDT

I am so sick of facebook and their screw ups.

How many times every other month or less do we have to put up with this?

Today I lost all my gift requests from my game apps plus I was unable to help a friend figure out how to place a complaint to FB. They are unreachable the majority of the time and with all the changes to the website itself, I am on the verge of trashing FB and going back to Myspace.

Mark whathisname needs to go back to freakin college!

Comment by Skittles
September 6, 2010 @ 5:27 pm EDT

Yes, Facebook is down for me as of 3 PM EST, 23 September 2010. I’ve heard reports it’s been intermittent all day today.

Comment by Mara Vilha
September 23, 2010 @ 3:22 pm EDT

From WI, FB started acting up last night could not post to my wall .. had pfroblems share game posts to my wall,, could not see any of my posts on my wall everything last night was going to my profile page. Today same issues cant write a status update to my wall cant even leave comments .. and now I cant even log in to my account .. FB msg says your acccount is temporaily unavailable due to Maintance and should be resolved in a few hours .. Hmmmm few hours its already been over 15 hours whaT IS UP WITH fb EVERY TIME they add or change something it always messes up I think it has to do with the way you hav e o choose who sees your posts I had to manually convert everyone over to close friend or friends .. why dont they just put it back the way it was ..

Comment by Roxanne Claassen
October 14, 2011 @ 4:50 pm EDT

I have been unable to log in to Facebook, today being the third day. This is so frustrating. Our family is huge and spread out from coast to coast. My 92 year old Grandma is hospitalized and my niece was keeping the entire family informed via FB. Now I need to have her manually send out email or text messages to a couple dozen people. I am never going to rely on electronic communications again, especially FB.

Comment by Monica Morton
November 5, 2011 @ 7:38 am EDT

Comments are no longer accepted on this page.

downrightnow monitors the status of your favorite web services, combining user reports and official announcements to tell you when there's service trouble.