Facebook Trouble – September 29, 2009

User reports on downrightnow and Twitter today point to a widespread service issue with Facebook:

Facebook Status History as of 10:10am ET

Facebook has not yet officially acknowledged a problem.  If you’re experiencing the issue, be sure to file a report and stay tuned to our Facebook status page for the latest information.

Twitter Search Results as of 10:10am ET

Twitter search: facebook down

Users complained of a similar Facebook disruption for several hours on Sunday, September 27.

Update: It looks like today’s Facebook issues are primarily affecting users in the UK.

Update II: Some UK users have reported confirmation from BT Internet of a known network issue.

4 Comments

I’m getting ‘address not recognised’ error on FB at the moment… Trying to log in from UK without success.

Comment by Brian Banks
September 29, 2009 @ 10:48 am EDT

I’ve sent this email to several friends I know that have facebook accounts…

For several days now, I can neither send or receive messages.

Trying to send a message to anyone gets an almost empty screen,
with no input box for a message, or anything else for that matter.

Additionally, some messages I had earlier sent, and the replies from them,
are completely gone now. Absolutely NOTHING in ght Inbox.

The “help” is no real help at all. It seems impossible to contact anyone there.

Is this just me? Or are any of you experiencing the same thing?

Thanks.

——————————————————————
One website refered to “info@facebook.com”, so I tried emailing them, with the following result…

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: FW: Unable to acces or send messages in my facebook account.
Sent: 10/19/2009 19:24

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

‘info@facebook.com’ on 10/19/2009 19:24
553 Recipient Rejected: Address invalid or not fully-qualified : ”

——————————————————————
So, there it stands at the moment.

Comment by Paul_In_Houston
October 19, 2009 @ 8:38 pm EDT

I would like to UNreport the problem I submitted yesterday.

I have since been informed that clearing the browser cache and cookies can often fix what I described, and it appears to be the case here.

I STILL have gripes about the way some things work (or don’t) on Facebook (especially about contacting them) but the problem described earlier by me now appears to be a non-issue.

FYI

Comment by Paul_In_Houston
October 20, 2009 @ 12:25 pm EDT

I have not been able to get to the website for hours, what’s going on? I was on earler, and everything was slow, hopped off to refresh my computer, now can’t even get to the site???

Comment by Jo Heyes
December 30, 2010 @ 12:40 am EDT

Comments are no longer accepted on this page.

downrightnow monitors the status of your favorite web services, combining user reports and official announcements to tell you when there's service trouble.